The Gayatri Vidya Parishad College for Degree and P.G. Courses since establishment has been progressing tremendously and today it is one of the premier institutions in the state of Andhra Pradesh contributing significantly to the human resource base that the economy needs and is run with self-generated funds.
The College was accredited by NAAC with B++ Grade and was conferred the Autonomous Status by Andhra University after due approval by the UGC in April 2007 and in the second cycle in June 2014. NAAC accreditation and the autonomous status have increased the responsibility of the institution enhancing of the quality of teaching-learning, research, consultancy, skill development, and community development and for holistic development of the student.
The goals & objectives of this illustrious institution in pursuit of excellence are to:
- Provide a strong foundation to students for developing sound theoretical and practical knowledge in their chosen areas of knowledge and specialization.
- Nurture research in thrust areas of knowledge relevant to national and global concerns.
- Build strong interface with the industry for the skill development and the promotion of ready employability of the students.
- Create an ambience for excellence and in pursuit of this objective an ethic of sharing and a spirit of collaboration.
- Focus on instilling in the student a sense of discipline and concern for society and prepare him for participation in national productivity enhancement.
Gayatri Vidya Parishad College for Degree and P.G. Courses was established in 1989 offering B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. and B.B.A. with innovative and restructured combinations including Computer Science and Electronics, in addition to the traditional combinations. Biosciences were introduced from the academic year 2005-06. All these courses were brought into autonomous status from the academic year 2007-08. Post-Graduate courses were started from 1993-94 in various disciplines. These courses were conferred the autonomous status from 2009-10.Four engineering programs were added in 2011 and are autonomous since 2019-20
The College offers a number of U.G. and P.G. Courses in Autonomous stream in English medium. All the Courses offered are based on the needs of the society and industry. The courses offered are:
- Bachelor of Science
- Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
- Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Mathematics, Electronics and Computer Science
- Microbiology, Biotechnology and Biochemistry
- Commerce and Management Studies
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- P.G. Courses (Autonomous)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- M.Sc. (Computer Science)
- Master of Human Resource Management (MHRM)
- M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry)
- Part-time Ph.D.
- Engineering and Technology Program (Autonomous)
- B.Tech Civil Engineering (CE)
- B.Tech Computer Science Engineering (CSE)
- B.Tech Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
- B.Tech Mechanical Engineering (ME)
The Directorate for Research and Development of the college motivates the faculty to take up research and consultancy activities.
Andhra University recognized P.G. College as a Research Centre to pursue Ph.D in Management Studies
- Dress Code
Dress Code is strictly implemented in the college. Every UG student must wear the prescribed uniform on all week days except Saturday. Further, the student is required to wear the uniform on all examination days and on special occasions. On Saturdays they can have formal wear. The PG Students are required to come in formal wear.
- Ban on Cell Phones
Use of mobile phones or other telecommunication devices are not allowed on the campus. If any faculty observes a student using a mobile phone in the college, the same will be confiscated and handed over to the Principal.
- Undertaking Letters
At the time of admission the students and their parents shall submit a declaration to the effect that the rules and regulations of the college will be scrupulously followed. Parents are also advised to be in touch with the concerned mentors regularly. They shall also give an undertaking to the effect that they will abide by the decisions taken by the Staff-council.
- Credit system
The College adopted credit system as per the guidelines of Andhra University (vide Resolution No. 2 (AC-03/07-08) of the Third Meeting of the Academic Council held on 30-03-2008).
As per the UGC guidelines the evaluation system and computation of the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) based on student's performance in examinations has been implemented from 2015-16 admitted batch onwards.
- Choice Based Credit System (CBCS)
The CBCS provides an opportunity for the students to choose courses from those prescribed comprising core, elective/minor or skill based.
Scholarships will be facilitated to every deserving candidate if he / she achieves minimum requirement of marks and puts in the requisite minimum attendance.
A candidate shall be required to attend not less than 75% of the theory classes and 90% of the practical classes in each subject during each semester. The Principal may grant condonation of shortage of attendance in exceptional cases for a valid reason of absence up to a maximum of 10%. Unauthorized absence of any student from the classes is not allowed since all the courses are full-time. If a student applies for leave on medical grounds he / she shall enclose a Medical Certificate to the leave letter.
However, the Principal may grant an additional condonation for those candidates who represented the University/State in any inter-university or national camp(s), competition(s), games or sports or any national event during the relevant period of absence.Activities
- Voice 4 Girls
An adolescent girl has the unique power to break harmful cycles of economic and social inequality. Through activity-based camps like “Voice 4 Girls” the college student trainers train the girls of rural and remote areas in and around the city of Visakhapatnam. The girls are given training in life skills, spoken English and critical information that helps them make changes in their own and others lives.
- Literary and Cultural Activities
The College encourages students to participate in literary and cultural activities to bring out their latent talents. Competitions in essay writing, elocution, debate, quiz and histrionic activities are frequently conducted in the college. Selected students will be given guidance to represent the college at intercollegiate competitions, youth festivals etc.
- Youth Red Cross
The Youth Red Cross in association with the Indian Red Cross Society organizes Blood Donation camps. In times of natural disaster the volunteers come forward to help the displaced and needy.
- Red Ribbon Club
The College has a Red Ribbon Club which provides awareness about AIDS and its control.
- Legal Literacy Club
The College has a legal literacy club which provides legal knowledge and awareness to the students and through them to the general public.