Department of Statistics started in the year 1989 at the inception of the college. In the beginning it has a combination of Mathematics, Economics and later emerged with a combination of Mathematics, and Computer Science with an aim to train the students who are oriented towards research and teaching in advanced areas of Statistics. The department offers Descriptive Statistics, Inference, Regression and Correlation, Reliability, Sampling and Operation Research. Students enhance the theory knowledge into real problems as practical by doing the project in the end of the semester which enables the students to gain the practical knowledge which later helps them to bag the Public Sector Recruitments such as RRB(Railway Recruitment Board) ,IBPS ( Institute of Banking Personal Selection), CGL (Combine Graduate Level)
The department takes up the interdisciplinary topics to support the co-departments. It contributes a lot in the data analysis of the research scholars of the neighbouring departments. It actively takes part in evaluating the result trends of the examination cell.
Students with Mathematics as one of the subjects in intermediate or 10+2 level.
For Higher Studies
- Students with Statistics background may apply for Prestigious Indian Statistical Institutes all over the world.
- Students may also apply for Population Study Centers in the country as well as the foreign countries.
- Eligible to do any interdisciplinary post-graduate courses like M. Sc. in Mathematics/ Statistics /computer science, Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.) and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in any State and Central Universities.
- The course will be an added advantage for research in any discipline as it demands data analysis.
- Student interested in teaching schools can pursue B.Ed in mathematical Sciences and English Methods.
Private sector jobs:
- The graduates of the department stream have been selected by some of the leading software companies through campus drives and placed as data analysts.
- The research institutions like NSSO,CSO,CESS etc, opt the stat graduates for the data collection and analysis.
Public sector jobs:
- After completion of the courses there will be many career avenues for the students such as The post of Statistical Investigator through UPPSC (Union Public Service Commission) and SSC (Staff Selection Commission)
- The graduates of statistics are eligible for appearing (ISS) Indian Statistical Service which is equal to Civil examinations.
- For the post of Assistant Statistical Officer (ASO) which will be taken all the State Governments through their Service Commissions.
Predecessors of the Department
The department flourished under the headship of eminent personalities like Sri. G.Prabakar (1989-91) ,Prof. P. Tirupati Rao (1992-1995) and it is now blooming in multi directions under the headship of Dr. A.Anand from 1995 to till date.