Department of Physics started functioning in 1989 at the inception of the college. It offers a combination of Mathematics, Chemistry a combination of Mathematics, and Computer Science the Department has well-equipped teaching laboratories including modern experimental setups for achieving high standards in learning. The curriculum is framed in such a way that students are able to achieve sound theoretical foundation and problem solving skills in all subjects, and exposure to a range of research areas is provided through a choice of elective courses. B.Sc. students are given hands-on training in all aspects of the subject being taught, from computation to sophisticated experiments, and they also undertake research projects in various research groups as part of the curriculum. We encourage our students to present their work in conferences, and to publish their work in journals. We do give much emphasis to presentation skills and writing skills, and train/encourage students to appear for national level exams.
The department takes up the interdisciplinary topics to support the co-departments. It contributes a lot in the data analysis of the research scholars of the neighbouring departments. It actively takes part in evaluating the result trends of the examination cell.
Students with Mathematics as one of the subjects in intermediate or 10+2 level.
For Higher Studies
- Students with Physics background are eligible to do any post-graduate courses like M. Sc. in Mathematics/ Physics /computer science, Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.) and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in any State and Central Universities.
- The course will be an added advantage for those opting for defense services.
- Student interested in teaching schools can pursue B.Ed in mathematical Sciences and English Methods.
Private sector jobs:
- The graduates of the department stream have been selected by some of the leading software companies through campus drives and placed as data analysts.
Public sector jobs:
- After completion of the courses there will be many career avenues for the students such as UPPSC (Union Public Service Commission) and SSC (Staff Selection Commission)
- The graduates of physics with a combination of mathematics can opt for bank jobs, both private and nationalized.
Predecessors of the Department
The department flourished under the headship of eminent personalities like
- Sri.K.K.Brahmananda Rao (1989-95)
- late Sri.S.Ranganath(1997-2003) and it is now blooming in multi directions under the headship of Sr.V.Venkateswara Rao from 2004 to till date.