GAYATRI VIDYA PARISHAD COLLEGE FOR DEGREE AND P.G.COURSES (A) ACCREDITED BY NAAC WITH B++ DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY, BIOTECHNOLOGY, BIOCHEMISTRY A COMPREHENSIVE REPORT ON THE ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT 2016-173
Previously, LIFESCIENCES was chosen by the students as an alternative to the medical education but in recent year LIFE SCIENCES has explored the world with new technologies, new innovations and ignited young minds a lust towards science. Still there is gap between industrial needs and academics, to fill up the gap and provide a quality of education with a practical exposure to meet the industrial needs, the department of LIFE SCIENCE was established in 2005 with an intake of 40 students.
The department has grown as one of the elite departments of the institute. To meet the challenges of the rapidly growing discipline the department has started a unique Bachelor’s degree with MICROBIOLOGY, BIOTECHNOLOGY, and BIOCHEMISTRY combination. At present there are 220 students in the department.
Departmental profile: MICROBIOLOGY-BIOTECHNOLOGY-BIOCHEMISTRY
|NAME||DESIGNATION||QUALIFICATION||YEARS OF EXPERIENCE|
|ILAHI SHAIK||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||M.Sc,Ph.D||14|
|Dr. HEPZIBAH RANI SINGH||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||M.Sc,Ph.D||14|
|Dr .G. SRAVAN KUMAR||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||M.Sc,Ph.D||03|
|D.SUSHMA CHANDRA||ASSISTANT PROFESSOR||M.Sc||3|
Particulars of research work/Higher studies: (attached)
|S. No.||NAME OF THE FACULTY||RESEARCH ACTIVITY|
|1||Smt. Ilahi shaik||Ph.D (to be submitted)|
|2||Dr. Hephzibah Rani singh||Awarded Ph.D during MARCH 2018|
|3||Smt. D.Syamala||Recently passed prephD exam during August 2018|
|4||Smt. L.Sujatha||Pursuing Ph.D|
Community service organized and participated
College have a wing of NSS. With association of NSS students and staff organize and participate in blood donation camps, health camps, eye checkup camp, Cancer awareness rallies. Every year from 1st,2n and 3rd year students will participate in mega NSS campus where the students go to rural areas and stay for 15 days to create an awareness regarding health, hygiene and environment.
Literary and Cultural Activities:
|Date||Event||Name of the student|
|23rd September||SATKARYA||MOHUA DAS,
Got 2nd prize in GROUP DISCUSSION.
|Got 2nd prize in PAPER PRESENTATION.|
|NSS district level youth festival||1st prize in ESSAY WRITING|
STUDENT SEMINARS are organized every 3rd Saturday in the department on research and advancements in life sciences.
|S.NO||NAME OF THE STUDENT||TOPIC|
|1.||Shiva kumar rao||Nutritional requirements of pregnant and lactating woman|
|2.||K.sailaja||Stem cell culture|
|3.||Kavya kadali||Inhibtors of DNA gyrase their role as antibiotics|
|4.||Rushi tej||Signal transduction|
|5.||Sravani. M||Microbiolgy perspectives in reserch|
|7.||Ragini||Biotechnology as tool for better future|
Projects by the student PROJECTS BY STUDENTS -2016-17
The department of life sciences to improve the practical skills and ensure that all the students should acquainted with all instruments project work is made mandatory. During the final year students were grouped and each batch was assigned with one project.
- P.POOJA RAJA SRI, SANDEEP & SHEENA ---- ISOLATION AND IDENTIFICATION OF BACTERIA FROM MOUSAMBI FRUIT PULP WASTE
- CHANDRIKA, NISSI, SRAVAN, GOUTHAMI & SURYA -------“MICROBIAL ANALYSIS OF FOOD PRODUCTS PRESERVED AT LOW TEMPERATURES”.
- P.SANDHYA AN ANKITHA ------EFFICIENCY OF DIFFERENT WATER FILTERS.
- CHANDU,NAVYA AND SAHITHI -----------AEROFLORA ANALYSIS
- SWATHI,SURYA KIRAN, PRIYA RAGHAV, JYOTSHNA –“-EFFECT OF TRICHODERMA VIRIDAE AS A POTENTIAL BIOFERTILIZER”
- SATHVIKA, LOKESWRI, HARIKA, SUCHITRA & MONISH – IDENTIFICATION OF AMYLASE PRODUCING MICROORGANISMS FROM SOIL.
- VANDANA, GANGA, TEJSRI , MAHUA DAS & SHIVAKUMAR---- “EFFECT OF HEAVY METALS ON L.VANNAMEI NAUPLII”
- HARITHA, MOUNIK, VYSHNAVI, PRAIYANKA SAINI,GAYATHRI & KRISHNA VENI ---“ISOLATION OF FUNGI FROM ROTTEN ORANGE ONION AND TOMATO”
- BHARATHI,TEJASWI, VISHNUPRASAD, SAMITHA, GOUTHAM & BINDU --- PREPARATION OF HAND SANTITIZER BY USING ALOEVERA AND ROSE FLOWERS.
- KALYANI,RANI, PRUDHVI, GAYATHRI AND PRIYANKA ----------OBESITY CORRELATION TO DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION NATURAL REMEDIES
- REKHA, MANOJ, HYMA, AMALA & SRAVANI ------- ANALYSIS OF DIFFERENT COOKING OILS.
- BLESSY, SOUJANYA, SHANMUKH ------- ANBIOTIC AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITY OF ROOTS OF LOCAL PLANTS.